The answer is to set the Facebook App to open links in a standard browser. To do this on Android mobile apps, tap the Facebook menu icon in the top right, scroll down to Settings & Privacy, tap Settings then scroll down to Media & Contacts, tap and then enable the Links open externally option. That’s it.
- Launch the Facebook app.
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right corner of the app (the one with three lines).
- Scroll down to the settings section.
- Tap App Settings.
- Toggle “Links open externally” to on.
- Open your Facebook app and tap on the triple-line and a menu will open.
- Scroll down slowly to Settings & Privacy.
- Tap on the Settings Button.
- Scroll down to Media & Contacts.
- Here, you will see a “Links open externally” toggle ( It needs to be off) Suggest an answer. Log in or Sign up to answer.
On an iPhone 6S through XS, 3D Touch (that’s a forceful press) on the link that you want opened. One of the options, among others, will be to open in Facebook. On an iPhone up to the 6 and from the iPhone 11 onward, the process is the same, except you press and hold the link, since these phones do not have 3D Touch.
To do that go to Settings -> Apps -> scroll down to the app that you don’t want URLs to open in -> Tap on ‘Open by Default’ and select always Ask. So next time you click on a url it won’t open in any app directly it will ask you and you choose it to open in Chrome.
The Facebook app contains the ability to render web pages, using the Android System Webview component. “Open links externally” calls on either your default browser (if one is selected) or uses the system prompt asking you which browser you’d like to use to open the page.
How do I change my default browser on Android?
Set Chrome as your default web browser
- On your Android, open Settings .
- Tap Apps & notifications.
- At the bottom, tap Advanced.
- Tap Default apps.
- Tap Browser App Chrome .
What browser does Facebook app use?
To make sure you have best experience possible, we recommend using the most up-to-date version of one of the following browsers: Google Chrome. Mozilla Firefox. Safari.
Links can still be opened in Safari in the app by long pressing on a link and choosing the ‘Open in Safari’ button.
Why can’t I open links on Android? If you can’t open links on Android apps, make sure to check in-app settings, reinstall the app, or inspect in-app permissions. If that doesn’t help, clearing cache and data from essential Google Services or reinstalling WebView should resolve the issue.